It’s been pretty shitty weather lately, raining mostly, and since I’ve done most of my packing and all my flights have been organised I decided to do some baking. I find a lot of recipes through shares on Facebook and this recipe for Lemon flavoured brownies was one that I found the other day.
It’s an American recipe but I don’t bother with converting measurements as our cups and spoons are pretty similar that you really don’t need to convert anything. This is what my Lemonies (as I like to call them) turned out like. It was a very simple recipe and didn’t take very long at all. The next time I make them I’m going to cut back on how much lemon juice I use for the glaze, to me it’s way too tangy. The brownie mix is very delicious with a subtle lemon flavour. It’s moist and dense and just yum! I’ll be adding this recipe to my leather bound cookbook.
Here’s the recipe, give it a try! This recipe can also be found at “Lemon Bliss” on FB.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup flour
2 eggs, large
2 tbsps lemon zest
2 tbsps lemon juice
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the tart lemon glaze:
4 tbsps lemon juice
8 tsps lemon zest
1 rounded cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
3. Zest and juice two lemons and set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixture fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the flour, sugar, salt, and softened butter until combined.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined.
6. Pour it into the flour mixture and beat for 2 mins at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
7. Pour into baking dish and bake for 23-25 mins, should turn golden around the edges.
8. Allow to cool completely before glazing. Do not overbake, or the bars will dry.
9. Sift the powdered sugar and whisk with lemon zest and juice.
10. Spread 1/2 the glaze over the brownies with a rubber spatula and let glaze set.
11. Spread 1/2 the glaze over the bars, and let it set (not harden like most).
12. Cut into bars and serve.
Edit 20.07.2013 @ 9.21pm
After a few hours I tried the lemonies again and found that once the glaze has set completely the lemony tange had settle and was much more pleasent. I still might cut down in the lemon juice though.